I thought I’d share my Saturday morning project. My sister is going to a last minute party for the Kentucky Derby and she asked if I could put something together for her. Of course that is a YES for me! Big hats, horses, and crafting all combined into a fun project. It was too early for a mint julep but a minted mocha was just as good and I’m off to shop for supplies.
This is what I found… A little red, white, and blue theme!
And now it’s time to start assembling!
- I started with the bow to help make a base.
- Time to start adding some greenery. I only needed 2 branches for the hat.
- I’m bending them to wrap the hat and spread out across the base. I used little dots of hot glue to tack down only a few sections. I want to make sure it’s flexible enough to wear.
- Giving it a little trim. I love it being big! But don’t want to poke someone’s eye out with a grass blade 😲
- Time to start adding flowers and embellishments. My favorite was the cute little toy horses I found. Only one dollar for a bag. 🐎🐎🐎
- Just a few adjustments with the branches and we’re off! 🏇🏇👒
- The whole project took less than an hour and only $20 dollars! I shopped the sales/clearance section.
- Hat was from Target on sale for 12 (regularly $15).
- Flowers and toy horses came from the Dollar tree $3.
- Both ribbons (dollar rolls) and grass branches were on clearance at Michaels. I had an additional 25% coupon off the entire purchase (I love the Michael’s app), It added up to $5!
And a fun little pic I took wearing the hat before my sister was off to the party to pick her winning pony 🏆🏇