Here’s our little DIY TV surround project. Because our fireplace in the living rooms is the focal point it seemed like it was missing something. The whitewashing of the brick did make a huge difference (you can click here to see the process). But we decided to give building our TV surround a try and have a little DIY fun. This was our fist attempt at building something like this, too!
Here is where we started. The whitewash and mantel were completed in an earlier project and you find that on my blog here. We thought keeping it simple with two bookshelves that ran from the floor to ceiling would work well. That way it would also match the floor to ceiling fireplace. We started by trimming the board that ran up along the brick. Then we cut and attached our shelving to that board.
The shelves have tapered corners for the backside. This way we would can hide cords down the back. If you follow my blog you know I’m always decorating!
Next we anchored the half shelf to the floor and wall. Once it was in place we were able to add on the exterior board and screw it to ceiling and shelves.
Time to repeat. We did the same mirrored process. We fit the board that was going to be placed up along the fireplace first. While it was outside we attached the shelving. We used the same spacing as the left tower to make the shelves symmetrical. Once we anchored it the exterior board was added.
The next weekend we created to small door/panels for the bottom half. We gave it a some depth by adding on thin flat trim pieces.
It was a quick install with some simple hinges. And we added one exterior interior shelf to each side.
The next few weeks was the hard part! Trying to decide on paint, stain, etc. We had trouble deciding if white cabinet paint, with a stained mantel and white washed brick would be too much. And we didn’t want to bring additional colors in. Instead, I made it more difficult and ended up using both paint and stain! I used killz on the interior bookshelf surfaces to hide any knots. Then I painted those surfaces the same color as our living room walls. For the exterior surfaces I used stain. I was able to mix up a color that matched the mantel perfectly!
All painted and ready for some décor .
Hope you like seeing this project come together. It wasn’t as challenging as we thought it would be. We really had a fun time building together. I can honestly say I love how it instantly makes our living room more cozy and defines the space. They wall doesn’t seem as barren and the surround itself isn’t overwhelming. If you have any questions or if I missed something feel free to contact me.