I got this adorable hedgehog cookie cutter on a trip to Ikea. It was part of a woodland set and I’ve been waiting to create something with it. With the snow day here this was the perfect time to give them a try! These espresso cookies are delicious and the dough is perfect for rolling. The dough is an espresso brown sugar and I used Nutella in place of frosting with a bit of macadamia nuts for topping.
For the cookie
- 3 Cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. fine ground instant coffee/ espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt <- yes the recipe needs this
- 1 C Butter Softened
- 1 1/2C Brown Sugar
- 1/4 C Corn Syrup
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tbsp. Milk
For the toping
- Chopped nuts (I used Macadamia)
Let’s get started making these delicious espresso cookies
- Pre-heat oven to 350′
- Add your espresso powder into the milk and set a side.
- Start by creaming butter and sugar. Then add all the ingredients expect flour and baking soda.
- Slowly add the flour and baking soda to form the dough.
- This will be a soft dough. Let it chill for about 20 minutes before rolling.
- Rough chop the nuts and set aside for decorating.
- Once the dough is chilled it’s time to roll it out.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. They will seem soft. But it is a soft cookie and will finish firming up.
- Try to patiently wait for them to cool… and then it’s time to decorate 😍
- Using Nutella (or a favorite nut butter or frosting) coat the top half.
- Sprinkle nuts over the back
- Add a little face.
And these adorable little hedgehog cookies are ready for sharing!
Stay warm!! 🙂