Chocolate covered cherries are a fave of mine. They are somewhat seasonal and I searched for a recipe to try and make them when they couldn’t be found! 🙁 This beloved recipe that was shared with me 10+ years ago has become a tradition. We make these homemade chocolate covered cherries every Christmas. 🎄
What you’ll need:
- 2- 10oz jars maraschino cherries (about 50 cherries)
- 1-12oz package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1- 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 pounds of powdered sugar (confectioners’ sugar)
1.Drain the cherries and set aside.
2.In mixer bowl beat melted butter and milk until well combined.
3.In small intervals stir in powdered sugar. It will begin to form into a dough texture., knead until smooth.
4.Take a piece of dough similar to the size of the cherry roll into ball. (this helps to estimate the covering over the cherry : )
6. Place wrapped cherries on waxed paper covered tray and place in freezer until firm.
7.Melt chocolate chips as directed to create a smooth covering for cherries.
8.Roll each cherry into the chocolate and place on a waxed paper covered tray.
9. Allow to cool : )