This Slow Cooker Beef Borscht Soup is a classic. My mom use to make it during the cold months and I loved it. Instead of the traditional vegetarian version she’d add beef and use some staple spices. It’s hardy, delicious and simple to make.
- 1 lbs of Beef (for stew, cubed)
- 2-3 Potatoes
- 4 Carrots
- 1 bundle of Beets
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 C Chopped Onions
- 1/2 Cabbage
- 2 C Beef Broth
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp. Italian Season
- Salt & Pepper
- Optional Sour Cream (8 oz)
Lets get started making this Slow Cooker Beef Borscht Soup.
- Set crockpot to low for 8 hours. Add beef broth, unstrained can of tomatoes, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.
- In a pan heat olive oil and lightly brown the beef. I add a little salt and pepper during this process. Add the meat to the crockpot.
- Time to start chopping and slicing. Chop the potatoes into bite size pieces. Slice up carrots and onions. Chop beets and coarsely chop the cabbage. Add it into the crockpot as you go.
- Time to cover and wait. It should cook for approximately 8-10 hours on low. You want the veggies to be tender. I give it a light stir during the cooking process to coat all the veggies. The recipe does not look like a lot of broth however the liquids come out from the vegetables during the process and they cook down. You can add more water if necessary.
- About an hour before serving check veggies tenderness. You can add salt & pepper to taste, and a bit more seasoning if necessary. I find this always varies depending on the vegetables.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream on top and enjoy! 😋🥄
Look at that colorful soup 😍